Boeing has been working with Australians for more than 80 years, commencing with the establishment of Hawker de Havilland (now Boeing Aerostructures Australia) in 1927. Since then, Boeing has played an integral role in the region’s aerospace industry through its products and services.
Ian Thomas became President Boeing Australia and South Pacific in March 2009. He is responsible for government affairs and coordinates all Boeing activities in Australia and the South Pacific region. Previously, Thomas was president of Boeing India, having been appointed to that position in January 2007.
Boeing employs about 3,500 people at its facilities and offices throughout Australia. In the past 10 years alone, it has invested more than $A350 million in local facilities, plant, equipment and the training of Australians, more than $A200 million in local research and development, and a further $A100 million in technology transferred to Australia. Boeing has exported from Australia $A2.5 billion worth of complex aerostructure components and donated more than $A2 million to support local technical education, universities, and charities.
No other aerospace and defence company can claim to have made a commitment of this size to Australia, or to have played such a major role in the development and maintenance of Australia’s aerospace and defence industries.
Boeing’s expertise in Australia includes:
* systems integration and major defence project and sub-contractor management
* software engineering, design, test and development
* aircraft weapons, avionics and early-warning systems
* aircraft assembly, modification, maintenance and support
* command, control and communications systems
* information and surveillance systems
* communications and information management systems
* through-life support for major defence equipment and systems
* integrated logistics support
* operation and maintenance of defence communications and support facilities
* the manufacture of complex aerostructure components and electronics systems
* supply of airport management systems
Boeing is the major supplier of commercial and military aircraft to Australia. It is an integral part of the Australian industry and research communities. Boeing’s in-country businesses have full access to the technology and know-how of The Boeing Company and are an essential part of the world’s largest aerospace and defence systems integration company.
Boeing Defence Australia
Aerospace & Defence